Updated: Jun 2
Did you know pleasing is linked to fear and anxiety because it is a way of avoiding potential conflict or rejection? People pleasers may be afraid of disappointing others or of being judged, so they may go out of their way to make sure that everyone around them is happy. This can lead to feelings of anxiety and stress as they try to please everyone, and it can also lead to a lack of self-confidence and self-esteem.
Signs you are People Pleasing
1. Saying yes to requests even when you don't want to.
2. Avoiding conflict or difficult conversations.
3. Not speaking up for yourself or your needs.
4. Sacrificing your own needs to meet the needs of others.
5. Feeling guilty when you don't do what others want you to do.
6. Feeling anxious when you think you've let someone down.
7. Feeling like you have to be perfect to be accepted.
8. Feeling like you have to be liked by everyone.
9. Feeling like you have to be responsible for other people's feelings.
10. Feeling like you have to be the one to make everyone happy.
Ways to Stop People Pleasing
1. Identify the root cause of your people-pleasing behavior. Ask yourself why you feel the need to please others.
2. Set boundaries. Decide what you are and are not willing to do for others.
3. Practice saying NO. Start small by saying no to small requests and gradually work up to bigger ones.
4. Take time for yourself. Make sure to set aside time for yourself to do things that make you happy.
5. Speak up for yourself. Don't be afraid to express your opinion and stand up for yourself.
6. Seek support. Talk to a trusted friend or family member about your struggle with people-pleasing.
7. Seek professional help. If you feel like you need more help, consider talking to a therapist or life coach.
About our Village Contributor
Victoria Dume - Life Coach
Fueled by Gratitude!
Lake Nona Business Owner & Resident
What began as a journey of self-exploration and healing from a difficult divorce has now boomed to a growing and flourishing lifestyle brand created to empower women with tools, books, courses and products that will encourage growth in all the key areas of life.
Fueled by Gratitude's mission is to help women discover a life in which they are not just surviving but a life in which they are thriving in. And it is my belief that a thriving life begins with GRATITUDE! If
The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the contributor and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Village Connect by 3rdArm, Inc.